Vyzulta is indicated for the reduction of intraocular pressure in patients with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
Topically administered once a day, Vyzulta is a monotherapy with a dual mechanism of action, working by metabolizing into two moieties: latanoprost acid, which works within the uveoscleral pathway to increase aqueous humor outflow; and butanediol mononitrate, which releases NO to increase outflow through the trabecular meshwork and Schlemm’s canal. Common ocular adverse events include conjunctival hyperemia, eye irritation, eye pain and instillation site pain. Increased pigmentation of the iris and periorbital tissue and growth of eyelashes can also occur.
Bausch+Lomb says that for glaucoma patients, damage to the trabecular meshwork, through which the majority of the aqueous humor passes, can lead to reduced drainage, resulting in elevated IOP. Lowering IOP can delay, or even prevent damage to the optic nerve, helping to reduce the risk of glaucomatous visual field loss, Bausch + Lomb adds.
For information on Vyzulta, visit Bausch.com/vyzulta.
Topcon’s Aladdin HW 3.0
Topcon recently announced that its Aladdin biometer now features the Olsen formula, a ray-tracing method of calculating the IOL power with the concept of the C-constant to predict implant location.
The measure parameters used in the calculation are:
• axial length;
• anterior chamber depth; and
• lens thickness.
The lens position is well-predicted, and the calculation of the IOL power leads to better refractive outcomes in
Some of the key features that Topcon highlights are:
• point-and-shoot acquisition (all measurements are taken in less than five seconds);
• accurate measurement of axial length, lens thickness and central corneal thickness;
• nine measurements in one instrument;
• the ability to print the IOL report;
• precise IOL power calculation formulae and a generic toric IOL calculator (including the Abulafia-Koch astigmatic regression formula);
• onboard Olsen formula with C-constant;
• onboard Barrett IOL Calculation Suite, which includes the Barrett Rx, The Barrett Toric IOL Calculator, the Barrett True K and the Barrett Universal II formulae; and
• a built-in Placido topography system, which offers all the additional diagnostic capabilities of any stand-alone topographer.
For more information on Topcon’s Aladdin HW3.0 Biometer, visit topconmedical.com.